Saturday, September 08, 2007

Western Birthday Round-up!

Today is my brother-in-law's birthday, so we used it as an excuse to get together and celebrate all the end of summer birthdays we missed along the way.

I made this card for my sister-in-law Katy:
(all supplies Stampin' Up!)


My other sister-in-law Rebekah, and her DH, Dylan own a ranch, so they are very much into horses, so I made Rebekah this card:
(all supplies Stampin' Up!)


...and this is Dylan's Birthday Card
Step-by-Step


While searching Split Coast Stampers for a great card idea I came across this bad boy and just had to give it a try. Well, an hour later and I think I figured it out! It was pretty easy, but there were a few things that I had to figure out by trial and error. Rather than make you guess how this card was made I am going to show you step-by-step:

First, start with a piece of 12x12 "Bandanna Flat Paper" by K and Company. Cut out 2 large diamonds, so they each fit within a 4 1/4" square. Fold the diamond in half, then tuck the right edges in on the top and bottom. For the second diamond, fold the left edges in.


Next cut a piece of white card stock to 4 1/4 x 9 1/8. Score at 2 1/4 from one edge and 2 1/8 from the other edge, which leaves a very slight gap when you close the gate folded card. Using coordinating background paper, line the inside of the card (works best in a light color so you can write your message). You don't have to cover from edge to edge since this will be covered with the other bandanna background paper. Next take the bandanna paper that's been folded and glue the unfolded portion to the inside panels of the card. Close the card to match up the seams so the 2 diamonds on opposite sides connect to form one diamond.


Now you can glue the coordinating background paper to the front flaps and trim away any excess. I made the band out of pleather (found at my LSS) and cut out a smaller diamond shape from the same bandanna paper, then added some jute twine and a bronze brad by Making Memories. Sponge edges of card with Close to Cocoa ink. Finished card size is 4 1/4 x 4 1/4.

3 comments:

toners said...

Way cool!! I will have to try this :) Thanks for the instructions!

Monica Loewen said...

Wow, very nice cards!

Unknown said...

Very nice! Love that cool fold!